Are you a qualified Counsellor or Psychotherapist interested in broadening your practice to work with young people?
The Listen Project youth counselling service in conjunction with PCI College are offering a FREE 5 day Professional Certificate in Child and Adolescent Counselling beginning in September 2023.
The course will be delivered in person and will rely on a participative and experiential learning style. It will explore and discuss the main theorists in the field of child and adolescent counselling and psychotherapy augmented by discussion and experiential exercises in pairs, small groups and large groups with lecturer guidance and input. Learners will also be required to undertake independent study, library /internet work to prepare for classes and an assignment in line with a flipped learning model of delivery which promotes learner led learning.
The proposed course dates are:
Day 1: September 9th, 2023
Day 2: September 30th, 2023
Day 3: October 21st, 2023
Day 4: November 25th, 2023
Day 5: January 27th, 2024
Day 6: May 25th 2024 – Follow-up with students, celebration & awarding of
professional certificate ceremony.
The syllabus will include topics such as:
- Introduction to Humanistic and Integrative Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy.
- Child Development Theories – Piaget, Erikson, Bronfenbrenner.
- Assessments: parent, adolescent, child and assessing risk.
- The Listen Project 9 session model
- Consent and Contracting – working with parents – practical session.
- Introduction to child-centred play therapy and the therapeutic relationship.
- The Dimensions Model.
- The Embodiment Projection Role (EPR).
- Assessment, formulation and clinical practice; working with different age groups and
- The ethical and practical considerations in the application of the principles and legal
requirements concerning child protection, including Children’s First Guidelines and
- Working with children and adolescents in different settings: schools, communities, MDT
Some of the benefits for course participants are:
- 60 hour facilitated placement on ‘The Listen Project’ youth counselling service
- Counselling venues and bespoke data system provided
- €25 placement rate paid per attended counselling session
- 2 group supervision sessions provided
- Clinical governance oversight and support
- Opportunity to support the work of a youth service charity while developing your youth counselling practice experience.
- Exemption from the first module of the PCI MSc Programme should you wish to progress.
*Please note there is a €150 fully refundable deposit required to secure your place and places are limited.
We are hosting an online information session on Wednesday May 31st at 7pm. Please register your interest by e mailing email@example.com no later than Monday May 29th.
Link to online application form here