We're re-opening the youth centres!
WHO WE ARE & WHAT WE DO
Sphere 17 Regional Youth Service (RYS) provides a high-quality youth service to young people between the ages of 10 – 24, in the region of Dublin 17 and Kilbarrack area. We provide many different services to young people, based on their needs, issues and interests.
Check out our current strategic plan full and summary.
We have three youth centres located in Bonnybrook, Darndale and Priorswood, and also operate a youth space from St. Benedict’s Resource Centre in Kilbarrack. The service typically operates a 6-day week and opens until 10pm in at least one of the areas/centres from Monday to Friday.
The youth service is provided in line with the Service Level Agreement as issued by the City of Dublin Youth Services Board on behalf of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs. The Woodale Youth Justice Project is a Garda Youth Diversion Project funded through the Irish Youth Justice Service covering the Darndale and Priorswood area
Sphere 17 hopes for a future where all young people are valued. We want to see a society where young people have a voice, where young people are respected, and where they feel included, no matter what community they are from. We hope for a society where young people can get high quality support and have a real chance to be the best that they can be.
Sphere 17 believes all young people can achieve great things. Our mission is to support young people to be the best that they can be. We do that in different ways for different young people, as they need it, through the varied services we provide.
Some of the successful programmes and activities in 2019 included:
- Lough Key Forest camping trip
- Wales trip
Summer programme and outings:
- Summer Sphere
- The Grand Social
- River trip
- Family Support Week
- Youth Action Group – Equipment project
- DCC Biking programme
- Kayak skills course
- Stand Up - LGTB Awareness Week
- Climate change activism
- Homeless awareness programme
- Seen And Heard Art Exhibition
- Hell and Back
- Celtic Legends
- Unity in the Community
- 6th Class Blow Out
- Halloween Scare House Event
Some other 2019 highlights included:
- Sphere 17 were Regional Winners (Youth Category) in the National Lottery's Good Causes Awards
- We had an increase in local volunteers
- We were awarded TUSLA funding support for the Listen Project
- The Woodale Youth Justice Project secured an additional Youth Justice Worker
- We sourced a 9-seater minibus with DCYA capital funding support
- We actively promote the participation of all young people in all aspects of our service.
- We aim to deliver our service in line with established best practice and in keeping with the equality and community based ethos that informs our
- We deliver services based on young people’s needs, interests, issues and age profile.
- We provide a range of services covering recreational, educational, health, personal and social development.
- We provide professional services, by trained and Garda-vetted Youth Workers.
- We engage in a way that is open, creative and positive.
OUR YOUTH CENTRES
Strategic Goals 2020 - 2022
1: Progress Sphere 17’s System of Impact Measurement
We will develop our systems so as to better understand and demonstrate how our services are working for young people.
2: Innovating Our Responses to Feedback
We will develop a system to ensure that all issues, suggestions, problems or concerns raised are listened to and responded to.
3: Further Engage Young People’s Voices
We will carry out annual youth surveys to support continuous improvement of the service. These surveys will be supported by a voluntary youth committee.